What is a Master Gardener?
A Master Gardener is a volunteer with Virginia Cooperative Extension who has been trained to help the general public with their gardening questions.
Each Master Gardener must take approximately 50 hours of classroom training, pass an exam, and complete an internship. In order to maintain their status, each Master Gardener is required to complete eight hours of continuing education and volunteer 20 hours of service per year.
How we serve our Hanover County community
- We are a resource to answer gardening questions via a Help Desk and monthly plant clinics to provide advice on plant selection, diseases, water quality management, insects and more. Contact our Help Desk at 804-752-4310 or firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or see our schedule to find a plant clinic near you.
- Our Roddey Jones Memorial Grants Program provides educational grants of up to $500 which are available on a competitive basis throughout the year. On–line Form.
- Our Home Gardening Series are free courses on a variety of topics of interest to home gardeners.
- Master Gardeners are available to speak on a variety of topics to civic and professional groups. If interested, contact us at 804-752-4310 or email@example.com
- Our spring plant sale is our only fundraising activity to help us continue to serve Hanover. In addition to plants and gently used garden-related items donated by members. Select vendors are also invited to participate in this event.
- Hanover Master Gardeners provide home visits and act as Land Care Stewards sharing experience and knowledge.
- We design and maintain community gardens to show examples of how homeowners can implement ideas in their landscape. We have a Native Plant and Butterfly Garden, and maintain a historic garden at Scotchtown. Coming soon will be a Horticultural Learning Center garden.
- Participate in the Virginia State Fair with a booth to educate visitors on different gardening topics and skills and provide an educational opportunity for youth.
Volunteers do not get paid; not because they are worthless but because they are PRICELESS.