Educational Opportunities – There are many classes available to the public. Some are free, some require pre-registration.
- Home Gardening Series – Our Home Gardening Series is an offering of classes with gardening topics of interest to the general public. They are typically two hour sessions held at various Hanover Libraries on Saturday mornings from January through April. They are free and open to the public. See our schedule for topics and locations.
- Master Gardener Training – Virginia Cooperative Extension offers training to those wanting to learn more about gardening. The course is 60 hours long taught over a series 10 weeks. Registration is required. Fee structure for the course is as follows: $12 (or $145 per couple) with volunteer service or $225 for classroom training only without volunteer service. Details
- Virginia Cooperative Extension Celebrates Volunteer Service During National Volunteer Week
Here are some articles that may be of interest.
- Decisions – There are reasons not to rake leaves. Here are some of them.
- Getting Ready for Gardening Season – Get those neglected muscles back in shape for the gardening season.
- Pest Management – The appearance and control of pests can vary from month to month. See the charts for the months of April, May, June and July.
- Weather Happens Tomatoes versus the Environment – Wet, dry, hot, cold. Weather can have an influence on your tomato crop. Even when you can’t control the environment at least learn more to know what to expect.
- When is the Right Time to Pick Vegetables – How do you know when a cantaloupe is ripe or the best time to pick corn? Learn more about some of our local produce.
- Fall Is for Berries – We have some very attractive berries in the fall that are enjoyed by people and animals alike.
- Neem Oil – Need oil can be an organics solution to pest management.
- When to Plant Your Vegetables – Chart of dates ranges to plant local vegetables.
- How to Become a Master Gardener – Turn your gardening enthusiasm into an opportunity to learn more and share your knowledge with others.
- From our Gardens to Yours – Did you buy plants at our annual spring plant sale? Learn more about them.
- Month by Month Gardening Chores – Each month of the year presents opportunities for gardening chores. Find out what you should be doing now.
- Fall Container Gardening – Container gardens in the fall can include cool weather veggies.
- Bok Choy – Learn more about this vegetable.
Be sure to check out the link to the Virginia Cooperative Extension web site. They have hundreds of articles available to answer most any question. Link to documents on Virginia Cooperative Extension Web Site